22 February 2010

(44-46): Andy vs. The Noctilien


(44) is Friday, 19 February 2010

Today, I took a trip to the suburbs with the VWPP 'Scandal in Art' class (of which I'm not a member). We had lunch provided at a nice little bistro across from the MAC/VAL modern art museum in the suburb (that's English for "banlieue") of Vitry-sur-Seine, to the south of Paris. The bistro lunch had a prix-fixe menu of a glass of wine, chicken basquaise (made in the Basque regional tradition), and dessert (I chose a very good tarte aux pommes... sound familiar?). After lunch (the real reason I tagged along), we headed to the museum.

This was great fun. When it comes to modern art, I say the more bizarre the better. This is because, unless some sense of meaning immediately jumps out at me, I just laugh my way through the various exhibits. Perhaps my fondness for Ionesco and (on occasion) Beckett will put that in better perspective. But basically, while my friends were all getting frustrated about how the coat rack with coats in the middle of the room didn't make sense as art, I was just chuckling. Of course it doesn't make sense-- isn't that the point? Might as well laugh about it... since I'm not going to go to the trouble to study it or unpack it or study the theory behind it, laughing at the absurdity is as good as any other reaction, I suppose.

That evening, there was a small get-together for us VWPP kids and kids from the Lycee Hotelier (the cooking high school, if you remember) at Reid Hall. We had snacks and wine and then went to a Bar called Le Mazet, which is about a block north of Odeon. They had a Ladies' Night offer starting at 11: 6 euros for a shot and a cocktail. Split that with the female friend who makes the order, and you've got a gender-blind drink for 3 euros.

(45) is Saturday, 20 February 2010

I took it easy during the day to assuage a small cold. I also ate a baguette and brie, something I had been craving since my arrival. It was wonderful, and the bakery near my house sells great baguettes for less than a euro. Not unique to the bakery, but still wonderful.

I then got together with Liz, Aaron, Kirill, and Dan for dinner and vacation planning. I'm going to be in Madrid from March 1 to March 4 (in about a week). Then, in mid-late April, we looked up options for exploring Italy and the Greek islands. Awesome.

I didn't make the last metro, of course, so I had to find the Noctilien from Aaron's place. This was supposed to be easy: he's 2 miles from me and there was a bus that went directly there. No such luck. I never found that stop and had to make a transfer, which added another 20 minutes to the travel time.

This was all redeemed, however, once I got on the second bus. There was a guy playing the ukulele while his friends sang along. He played a bunch of French songs which I didn't know (although I did recognize the one about the Champs-Elysees). It was great fun. And THEN he started playing "Something" by the Beatles. Well, American that I was (still am? maybe?), I joined in. After a while, he started harmonizing and leaving me with the melody... it was great. I had such a wonderful time cruising back home and listening to a pretty talented musician-- all for free-- at who-knows-how-early in the morning.

(46) is today: Sunday, 21 February 2010

I slept in to compensate for my concert on the Noctilien, and then did things like Laundry and a little homework. Then, at about 7:30, my host mother knocked on my door and asked if I wanted to go bowling.

Uh, YEUSS!!!

So, we all went with the next-door neighbors. It was a lot of fun, and I came in second in two games. I think I will find my way back there, as it reminded me of alleys back home and is a bit cheaper (and brighter/less chic) than the alley on Rue Mouffetard.

So, we are now past the six-week mark. ...I don't really have anything to add to that. I was just pointing it out. I need to finish my homework.

-Andy

-------------------------------
There are no footnotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment